|Title of article
||EVALUATION OF ANTIMUTAGENIC AND ANTIFUNGAL PROPERTIES, PARAMETERS OF ACUTE TOXICITY AND SENSITIZING ACTIVITY OF ENZYMATIC WHEY PROTEIN HYDROLYSATE
Golovach T.N., Belarusian State University, Nezavisimosti Ave. 4, Minsk, 220030 Republic of Belarus
Dudchik N.V., Scientific Practical Centre of Hygiene, Akademicheskaya Str. 8, Minsk, 20012 Republic of Belarus
Veremeenko E.G., Belarusian State University, Nezavisimosti Ave. 4, Minsk, 220030 Republic of Belarus
Tsygankov V.G., Scientific Practical Centre of Hygiene, Akademicheskaya Str. 8, Minsk, 20012 Republic of Belarus
Bondarchuk A.M., Scientific Practical Centre of Hygiene, Akademicheskaya Str. 8, Minsk, 20012 Republic of Belarus
Filonyuk V.A., Headquarter of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Belarus, Myasnikova Str. 39, Minsk, 220048 Republic of Belarus
Shevlyakov V.V., Scientific Practical Centre of Hygiene, Akademicheskaya Str. 8, Minsk, 20012 Republic of Belarus
Ushkov A.A., Scientific Practical Centre of Hygiene, Akademicheskaya Str. 8, Minsk, 20012 Republic of Belarus
Sobol` Yu.A., Scientific Practical Centre of Hygiene, Akademicheskaya Str. 8, Minsk, 20012 Republic of Belarus
Erm G.I., Scientific Practical Centre of Hygiene , Akademicheskaya Str. 8, Minsk, 20012 Republic of Belarus
Kurchenko V.P., Belarusian State University , Nezavisimosti Ave. 4, Minsk, 220030 Republic of Belarus, email@example.com
||FOOD PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY
||Biologically active peptides with antioxidative, antibacterial, immunomodulating and other properties result from the reaction between the whey proteins and proteolytic enzymes of the gastrointestinal tract or purified proteases. This work aims to determine antimutagenic and antifungal effect of the enzymatic hydrolysate of whey protein obtained, to assess its acute toxicity characteristics and sensitizing power. Antimutagenic action of native whey proteins and hydrolysates (test sample and hydrolyzate analog) was assessed by the Ames test using indicator strains of Salmonella typhimurium ТА 98 and ТА 100. When determining the antifungal activity, opportunistic strains of Aspergillus niger and Candida albicans were used. The toxicity degree of samples was defined in studies to evaluate the acute intragastric toxicity in white rats as well as in the single abdominal dose study on the white mice. Irritating influence of whey proteins and peptides on was evaluated when applied to the eye mucosa of rabbits. The sensitizing capacity of samples was evaluated using the experimental model to reproduce the delayed hyperresponsiveness in white mice. It is identified that the developed hydrolisate is classified as the safe agent and has low sensitizing ability. The sample obtained has the comparative values of antioxidant and antimutagenic activity level as compared with the analog «Vital Аrmor H 801 LB» (Armor Proteines, France) used to manufacture functional products. The advantages of the hydrolisate developed include the increase in the content of peptide fraction and more pronounced antifungal activity towards A. niger .
||whey proteins, enzymatic protein hydrolisates, peptide profile, antimutagenic activity, antifungal effect, antioxidant properties, acute toxicity, sensitizing activity
||Received June 1, 2016
Accepted August 27, 2016
Available online December 31, 2016
||Golovach T.N., Dudchik N.V., Veremeenko E.G., Tsygankov V.G., Bondarchuk A.M., Filonyuk V.A., Shevlyakov V.V., Ushkov A.A., Sobol` Yu.A., Erm G.I., and Kurchenko V.P. Evaluation of antimutagenic and antifungal properties, parameters of acute toxicity and sensitizing activity of enzymatic whey protein hydrolysate. Food and Raw Materials, 2016, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 38-47. doi:10.21179/2308-4057-2016-2-38-47.
|Download the full article
- Dziuba M., Dziuba B., and Iwaniak A. Milk proteins as precursors of bioactive peptides. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum, Technologia Alimentaria, 2009, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 71-90.
- Mills S., Ross R.P., Hill C., Fitzgerald G.F., and Stanton C. Milk intelligence: Mining milk for bioactive substances associated with human health. International Dairy Journal, 2011, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 377-401. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2010.12.011.
- Seredenin S.B. and Durnev A.D. Farmakologicheskaya zashita genoma [Pharmacological genome protection]. Мoscow: VINITI Publ., 1992. 161 p.
- Goncharova R.I. Anti-mutagenesis as the genetic process. Annals of the Russian academy of medical sciences, 1993, no. 1, pp. 26-33. (In Russian).
- Abdelalia H., Cassand P., et al. Antimutagenicity of components of dairy products. Mutation Research: Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis, 1995, vol. 331, no. 1, pp. 133-141. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0027-5107(95)00059-R.
- Sah B.N.P., Vasiljevic T., McKechnie S., and Donkor O.N. Effect of probiotics on antioxidant and antimutagenic activities of crude peptide extract from yogurt. Food Chemistry, 2014, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 264-270. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.01.105.
- Raikos V. and Dassios T. Health-promoting properties of bioactive peptides derived from milk proteins in infant food: a review. Dairy Science & Technology, 2014, vol. 94, pp. 91-101.
- Fadaei V. Milk Proteins-derived antibacterial peptides as novel functional food ingredients. Ann. Biol. Res., 2012, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 2520-2526.
- Farnaud S. and Evans R.W. Lactoferrin - a multifunctional protein with antimicrobial properties. Molecular Immunology, 2003, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 395-405. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0161-5890(03)00152-4.
- Halavach T.M., Kurchenko V.P., and Albulov A.I. Enzymatic hydrolysis of milk proteins as a basis of specialized food products biotechnology. Ural Scientific Bulletin, 2014, no. 25 (104), pp. 69-79.
- Kurchenko V.P., et al. Process of milk whet complex processing. Milk Industry, 2013, no. 2, pp. 38-41. (In Russian).
- Halavach T.N., Kurchenko V.P., Zhygankov V.G., and Evdokimov I.A. Determination of physicochemical, immunochemical and antioxidant properties, toxicological and hygienic assessment of whey protein concentrate and its hydrolysate. Foods and Raw materials, 2015, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 105-114. DOI: 10.12737/13127.
- OECD Guideline for Testing of Chemicals. Bacterial Reverse Mutation Test. OECD, Test № 471:1997, IDT.
- Glants S. Mediko-biologicheskaya statistica [Medicobiological statistics]. Мoscow: Praktika Publ., 1998. 459 p.
- Polovinkin L.V., et al. Trebovaniya k postanovke eksperimental'nykh issledovaniy dlya pervichnoy toksikologicheskoy otsenki i gigienicheskoy reglamentatsii veshhestv: instrukciya № 1.1.11-12-35-2004 [Requirements to experimental studies to evaluate primary toxicity and hygienic regulation of substances: instruction, no. 1.1.11-12-35-2004]. Minsk: State Dept. of the Repub. Center of Hygiene, Epidem. and Health of the Republic of Belorussia, 2004. 43 p.
- Shevlyakov V.V., et al. Trebovaniya k postanovke toksikologo-allergologicheskikh issledovaniy pri gigienicheskom normirovanii beloksoderzhashhikh aerozoley v vozdukhe rabocheyj zony: metod. ukazaniya № 11-11-10-2002 [Requirements to toxicological and allergologic studies at hygienic rating of protein-containing aerosols in working zone atmosphere: guidelines, no. 11-11-10-2002]. Sbornik ofitsial'nykh dokumentov po meditsine truda i proizvodstvennoy sanitarii [Coll. of official occupational medicine and sanitation documents]. Minsk: MoH, Rep. of Belorussia, 2004. Part XIV, pp. 4-49.
- Klassifikatsiya i perechen' allergoopasnykh dlya cheloveka promyshlennykh veshhestv, osnovnye mery profilaktiki: rukovodstvo R 11-11-11 RB 02 [Classification and list of industrial substances hazardous for human in terms of sensitization, major preventive measures: guideline RР 11-11-11 РБ 02]. Sbornik ofitsial'nykh dokumentov po meditsine truda i proizvodstvennoy sanitarii [Coll. of official occupational medicine and sanitation documents]. Minsk: Rep.Center of Hygiene, Epidemiology and Health, 2003. Part XI, pp. 94-126.
- Lakin G.F. Biometriya, 4th ed. [Biometriya, 4th ed.]. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola Publ., 1990. 352 p.
- Ryan K.J. and Ray C.G. (eds). Sherris Medical Microbiology, 4th ed. McGraw Hill, 2004. pp. 659-668.
- Nandhini N., Karthik R., Sridhar B., and Ramalingam K. Antimicrobial activity of whey protein from milk against different microbial pathogens. Acta Biomedica Scientia, 2015, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 122-124.
Copyright © 2016, KemIFST. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, provided the original work is properly cited and statesitslicense. This article is published with open access at http://frm-kemtipp.ru.