|Title of article
||STRENGTHENING OF THE ECONOMIC POWER OF THE DOMINATING ENTITIES IN THE FOOD INDUSTRY
Osokina N.V. , T. F. Gorbachev Kuzbass State Technical University , Vesennyaya Str. 28, Kemerovo, 650000 Russian Federation
Kazantseva E.G. , Kemerovo Institute (branch) of the Plekhanov Russian University of Economics , Kuznetskiy Ave. 39, Kemerovo, 650992 Russian Federation , email@example.com
||The majority of food markets comes under the priority and socially important ones. Promptly growing global companies actively get on the Russian food markets under the conditions of globalization. The revelation of specifics of processes of strengthening the economic power of the dominating entities in the food industry is the base for the development of decisions on the state regulation of development of food production and food price formation. The article considers the essence of the concept of oligopolization that allows to prove the essence of strengthening the economic power in the market (in the industry) of several largest companies, to show the variability inherent for oligopoly, to uncover the reasons that cause these changes, to reveal the orientation of high-quality changes and to determine the historical regularity of development of oligopolistic markets on its basis; to analyse the consequences of this phenomenon for society. Within the research, the concept of oligopolization is applied to the problematics of development of the dominating entities that function in food markets. The work analyses the factors that influence the growth of intensity of processes of oligopolization (the change of scopes and structure of consumer demand; the discrepancy of investment policy of oligopolists; the advancing development of network of foreign subsidiaries, the acceleration of growth of transnational capital in the developed countries and the growth of activity of oligopolists from the developing countries) and designates the peculiarities of influence of these factors on the development of food markets. The peculiarities of activity of the factors functioning in the global food markets are considered in the aspects of sales revenues; the positions held by these companies in the top ratings; the investment and innovative activity of companies. Special attention is paid to the issues of penetration and functioning of foreign companies in the Russian food markets.
||dominating subjects, the food industry, the global food companies, oligopolization
||Received April 8, 2016
Accepted July 3, 2016
Available online December 31, 2016
||Osokina N.V. and Kazantseva E.G. Strengthening of the economic power of the dominating entities in the food industry. Food and Raw Materials, 2016, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 190-200. doi:10.21179/2308-4057-2016-1-190-200.
|Download the full article
- 10 kompaniy, kontroliruyushchikh rynok produktov pitaniya [10 Companies that Control the World's Food], 09 February 2014. Available at: http://www.vestifinance.ru/articles/46406/print (accessed 18 March 2016).
- Forbes/The World’s Biggest Public Companies, 2015. Available at: http://www.forbes.com/global2000/list/ (accessed 19 March 2016).
- Kto est' kto na pivnom rynke Rossii [Who is Who in the Russian Beer Market]. Available at: http://www.nubo.ru/ pavel_egorov/global.html (accessed 18 March 2016).
- Uchastie inostrannogo kapitala v pishchevoy promyshlennosti Rossii: Analiz situatsii, vozmozhnye posledstviya i puti resheniya [Participation of the Foreign Capital in the Russian Food Industry: Analysis of the Situation, Possible Consequences and Solutions]. Available at: http://www.mcx-consult.ru/d/77622/d/uchastie-innostrannogo-kapitala-v-pischevoy-promylennosti-rossii_analiz.pdf (accessed 05 August 2015).
- Andreeva T.V. Tsepochka sozdaniya stoimosti produkta: formirovanie i otsenka effektivnosti [Value Chain of a Product: Formation and Efficiency Evaluation]. Moscow: Publishing Center RIOR: Research Center Infra-M, 2013. 170 p.
- Kahiluoto H., Kuisma M., Kuokkanen A., et al. Taking planetary nutrient boundaries seriously: Can we feed the people? Global Food Security, 2014, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 16-21. Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ article/pii/S2211912413000540 (accessed 11 June 2016).
- Regmi A. and Meade B. Demand side drivers of global food security. Global Food Security, 2013, vol. 2, iss. 3, pp. 166-171. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2013.08.001.
- Christofi M., Leonidou E., and Vrontis D. Cause-related marketing, product innovation and extraordinary sustainable leadership: the root towards sustainability. Global Business and Economics Review, 2015, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 93-111.
- Most Innovative Companies 2015. Available at: https://www.bcgperspectives.com/content/articles/growth-lean-manufacturing-innovation-in-2015/ (accessed 23 March 2016).
- Statistika innovatsiy v Rossii [Innovation Statistics in Russia]. The Federal State Statistics Service. Available at: http://www.gks.ru/free_doc/new_site/business/nauka/ind_2020/pril4.pdf (accessed 23 March 2016).
- Sweezy P.M. More (or Less) on Globalization. Monthly Review, 1997, vol. 49. Available at: http: // monthlyreview.org/ 1997/09/01/more-or-less-on-globalization (accessed 09 September 2015).
- Doklad o mirovykh investitsiyakh, 2009. Transnatsional'nye korporatsii, sel'skokhozyaystvennoe proizvodstvo i razvitie. Obzor. Organizatsiya Ob"edinennykh Natsiy [World Investment Report 2009. Transnational Corporations, Agricultural Production and Development. Overview. United Nations]. New York and Geneva: United Nations, 2009. Available at: http://www.un.org/ru/development/surveys/docs/investments2009.pdf (accessed 23 March 2016).
- Deyatel'nost' organizatsiy s uchastiem inostrannogo kapitala (bez malykh predpriyatiy) [Activities of Organizations with Foreign Capital Participation (Without Small Enterprises)]. Available at: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/ connect/rosstat_main/rosstat/ru/statistics/enterprise/ (accessed 10 March 2016).
- 50 krupneyshikh inostrannykh kompaniy v Rossii [50 Largest Foreign Companies Operating in Russia]. Available at: http://www.forbes.ru/rating/50-krupneishikh-inostrannykh-kompanii-v-rossii/2015?full=1&table=1 (accessed 19 March 2016).
- Reyting 600 krupneyshikh kompaniy Rossii po itogam 2014 goda [Ranking of 600 Largest Russian Companies following 2014]. Available at: http://raexpert.ru/ratings/expert400/2015/ (accessed 09 February 2016).
- Mitrofanov A.N. Nekotorye aspekty sovremennykh napravleniy razvitiya transnatsional'nykh korporatsiy i problemy pryamykh inostrannykh investitsiy [Some Aspects of the Modern Trends of Development of Transnational Corporations and the Problems of Direct Foreign Investments]. In: Osipov Yu.M., Baburin S.N., Belolipetsky V.G., and Zotova E.S. (eds.) Ekonomicheskaya teoriya na poroge XXI veka - 7: Global'naya ekonomika [The Economic Theory on the XXI Century Threshold - 7: Global economy]. Moscow: Yurist'' Publ., 2003. pp. 743-744.
- World Investment Report 2015: Reforming International Investment Governance. New York: UNCTAD, 2015. Available at: http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2015_en.pdf (accessed 20 February 2016).
- Global FDI Flows declined in 2014: China becomes the world’s Top FDI recipient. Available at: http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/webdiaeia2015d1_en.pdf (accessed 02/15/2016).
- Doklad o mirovykh investitsiyakh, 2006. PII iz razvivayushchikhsya stran i stran s perekhodnoy ekonomikoy: posledstviya dlya razvitiya. Obzor [World Investment Report 2006. FDI from Developing and Transition Economies: Implications for Development. Overview]. New York and Geneva: United Nations, 2006. Available at: http // www.unctad.org.wir (accessed 10 September 2010).
- Matsenovich I.L. and Hodachek A.M. Prodovol'stvennaya bezopasnost' i prodovol'stvennaya politika [Food Security and Food Policy]. St. Petersburg: Institute of Foreign Economic Relations, Economy and Rights, Znanie Publ., 2004. 136 p.
- Putin: Zapret importnykh tovarov - eto vsego lish' zabota o rossiyanakh [Putin: Ban on Imported Goods is the Only Care of Russians]. Available at: http://nv.ua/world/Putin-Zapret-importnyh-tovarov-zabota-o-rossiyanah--12556.html (accessed 10 March 2016).
- Doklad o sostoyanii konkurentsii v Rossiyskoy Federatsii. 2015 god [The Russian Competitiveness Report 2015]. Available at: http // www.fac.gov.ru (accessed 10 March 2016).
Copyright © 2016, KemIFST. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially, provided the original work is properly cited and statesitslicense. This article is published with open access at http://frm-kemtipp.ru.